8 Reasons Why You Should Be Worried About Cybersecurity
1) If you have an internet connection then you are a potential target for cybercriminals and soft targeting. You need to take the right steps to protect your business.
2) According to Microsoft, a high proportion of downloadable programs are malicious. So the next time you see an opportunity to download something for free, perhaps a software application or a movie, think twice. Hackers target computer users often through social media channels with links to malicious programs. It is a minefield but your staff should be educated not click on that link to a funny video on a work device, it may just well be the way into your systems for the cyber criminal.
3) Phishing emails nearly always contain encrypted ransomware. The continued rapid rise of ransomware is down to the fact it offers a quicker return on investment for the criminal than other cybercrime such as identity theft which takes more time and effort to monetise.
4) Human error is still the weakest link in the battle against cybercrime! Viruses that are sent via emails need to be activated by clicking on a link or opening an attachment. Despite all the warnings out there, people are still activating viruses. You need to drill it into your workforce to be vigilant and extremely careful when deciding whether to click or not.
5) According to CNN, nearly 1 million new viruses are released every day! Nothing more to be said here another than, the scale of the threat is mind blowing.
6) The cost of cybercrime is expected to reach $6 trillion annually by 2021 which is triple what it is now. A clear indication that things are only going to get worse.
7) Social media is becoming a favourite vehicle for hackers and cyber criminals, why? Because there are 2.5 billion users worldwide. Are your staff using social media on a work device?
8) Britain will be aligning itself to the European GDPR even in the post-Brexit era, so the consequences of a data breach for your company just got even scarier.